Questions? We have answers.
Adult Basic Education Questions:
- In order to register for the HSE Test, you need to come in to the Adult Education office at Central Nine and fill out a registration form. You will need to provide a driver’s license or other government-issued picture ID.
- If your picture ID is NOT from the state of Indiana, you must provide a piece of mail, pay stub or lease with your local address, which proves you have been an Indiana resident for at least 30 days.
- The cost to take the HSE Test is $115. You may pay with a credit or debit card or cash. If paying with cash, you must bring exact change. Full payment is due at registration.
- Go to www.diplomasender.com to obtain information regarding your HSE scores or copies of your certificate or transcript. Central Nine is a testing center only, we do not have access to official HSE scores. HSE scores will be available at Diploma Sender approximately 2-3 weeks after testing.
- When you pass the test, a transcript and certificate will be mailed to by the state. Nothing is mailed if all subjects are not passed.
- If you previously took the GED at Central Nine and need your official transcript, you can access this on Diploma Sender as well.
- Indiana residents use their social security number as their ID# when creating an account. Please contact diplomasender.com through their Contact Us page for questions.
- You must first register, then attend an orientation to be placed in an HSE class. The orientation and classes are free. Orientations are held several times monthly at online, at Central Nine and other nearby locations. Register online to get started. Questions? (317) 888-4401 x222.
- After participating in an orientation, our staff will be able to discuss with you how soon you would likely be ready for the test, based on testing that is a part of orientation.
- Test Dates ; click to see all HSE related dates.
- The test is given in two parts, on Monday and Tuesday evenings. You must be present both nights.
Monday Night Test Sections:
- Reading (75 Minutes)
- Science (85 minutes)
- Social Studies (75 minutes)
Tuesday Night Test Sections:
- Math part 1 (55 minutes-calculator)
- Math part2 (50 minutes-no calculator)
- Writing (105 minutes)
- You must arrive by 4:45 pm, late arrivals may not be allowed to test.
- You must present the same photo ID that you presented at registration or you will not be allowed to test.
- You keep the passing scores you earned in each subject, then retest by section.
- If you fail a section, you may retake a section (or multiple sections) on a retest night. These are scheduled once a month on Mondays.
- The cost is $23 per section
- You may test up to 3 times in a calendar year.
- To be placed in an ESL class, you must register online for an orientation.
- Orientations consist of 1-3 hour session. There are both morning and evening times available each month.
- Orientation & classes are free.
- Upon completion of orientation, you will be assigned to a class.
Continuing Ed Questions:
Central Nine is not a degree-issuing institution and does not offer college-credit courses. However, we have several certificate and state license programs. Go to the Continuing Education tab to see our our complete selection.
If you have further questions, call or visit us. (317) 888-4401, Ext. 222.
Monday – Thursday: 9 am to 7 pm
Friday – 9 am to 4 pm